Do you have a few spent gift cards lying around? Here's an easy way to keep them out of the landfill and get a cute new piece of jewelry! It's easy to do and doesn't take much time--I completed this piece yesterday in around 30 minutes.
Here's how to do it:
1. Cut your gift card into the desired shape using scissors (mine was a Foot Locker card with a referee on it--I turned it on its side and cut off his head (sorry)). Then, sand the edges and corners with an emery board.
2. Make holes in the card with a hole punch. If you want smaller holes, use a small nail and a hammer.
3. Wrap 24 gauge wire through the holes and thread beads onto the wire. I put a dab of glue on the back to hold ends of wire down.
4. Put a jump ring through the top hole and then attach a bale to that.
5. Thread a length of leather cording through the bale. You can simply tie the ends together or attach crimps and a clasp.
That's it! I've made earrings and a bracelet using the same basic techniques. People can't believe they are made from gift cards and they will think you are a creative genius!